Saturday, May 16, 2015

April's Not the Cruelest Month


                     It’s the time of year again when I am reminded anew that Shakespeare was right when he wrote that the evil men do lives after them.  Evil’s residue has certainly lived long for me; in June 2015, it will be eighteen years since I began the process of surviving the murder of my friend Jonathan Levin. Although at the time, I recognized the horror of this day, I didn’t realize the ancillary ramifications of it.  The gunshot killed Jon but also much more.  The first casualty was privacy; the second was the truth; the third was justice.
My friend became public property, like the celebrity he was not.  People who had never met him, never worked on a project with him, never had dinner or walked through the city at night with him, were soon telephoning The New York Times or People magazine to say that he was a sinner or a saint, but, somehow, never the ordinary human combination of both.  The June 6, 1997 edition of The Washington Post iterated the “life of privilege” that he left behind to slog through the socioeconomic mire that was William Howard Taft High School in the Bronx.  Had the story’s author, Laurie Goodstein, ever met Jon or had she just run a quick Dun & Bradstreet on his dad and allowed her imagination to percolate?  If Jon lived a life of privilege, I missed it completely. 
I remember the first time I saw Jon, dressed in jeans and a corduroy blazer, sitting in Gordon Pradl’s class at New York University; I thought briefly that he sort of resembled that guy who ran Time Warner - I’d seen that man’s photograph in a Vanity Fair article about a media moguls’ annual retreat to Sun Valley, Idaho - but I didn’t consider it deeply or for very long.    Then, months later, when another classmate told me that the man in the magazine photo was indeed Jon’s father, I wrote in my journal how surprised I was because, physical similarities aside, Jon had always been “sweet . . . and not . . . egotistical” - qualities I have rarely heard applied to media titans.  Also, the trappings of Jon’s life didn’t speak of wealth: he didn’t overdress or flash expensive belongings, and I knew he lived a few subway stops downtown from my former Upper West Side apartment, hardly a Sutton Place triplex.
When a group of us travelled to study abroad at Trinity College, Oxford University, we flew coach.  During our time there, we rarely ate out and attended the famous West End theatre only occasonally.  Those times when we did plan an excursion to London by bus or train, we haunted travel agents for weekend break rates at tourist hotels where we could share rooms.  Mostly, after classes, we wandered downstairs for a cheap pint at the college pub, then drifted back to our residence hall rooms to research and write.  Once a week - on karaoke night at the Bulldog Pub on Cornmarket Street (which a publication of Oxford pub crawls describes as a haven for a “mad and chavvy clientele”) - we sang and danced wildly.  Having been raised by his mother, not his father, Jon seemed to me to treat money with a level of respect rarely displayed by Upper East Side rich kids. 
While the trust-fund-baby gone a-slumming tales that appeared in the press were lies, they made interesting copy, although not nearly as fascinating as the self-serving statements put forth by the accused and the lawyers energetically defending them.  One such remark, attributed to Corey Arthur (at that point only the accused - not the convicted - murderer he would later become), as he relayed to the NYPD the aftermath of his blood-soaked encounter with Jon. “This was a traumatic experience and I went shopping for some new clothes."  I wasn't the only one dazzled by his comment; the editors of The Chicago Tribune chose it for the July 8, 1997 edition's Quote of the Day.  There was also the hypothesis floated before - then repeated at - trial by defense lawyer Anthony Ricco; namely, that Jon purchased crack from and smoked crack with his client.  Proof?  Oh, no he possessed no proof.
In July I attended some pretrial meetings at the Manhattan District Attorney’s office with Jon’s mother, Carol.  At one point, after Carol had gone to the ladies room, I naively asked the ADA whether she believed that they would secure a conviction because I would hate for my friend to have died for nothing.  “I have news for you,” she replied curtly, gathering her papers, “your friend died for nothing, anyway.” 
Her observation shocked me at the time, although later I realized that it was true.  I couldn’t have believed her on that sweaty July afternoon, though, because then I wouldn’t have been able to attend the trial that fall.
I remember entering Manhattan Criminal Court uncomfortably, scanning the public gallery for empty seats, then pulling a little notebook from my handbag to scribble quick impressions so I could remember later what my senses were too overloaded to process.
We watched jury selection – twelve regulars and eight alternates (I wrote in my journal “are they expecting a high drop-out rate?”) and wondered what might really be learned about people from voir dire.  I remember hearing the judge advise the jury to “use the same methods you use in your everyday life to determine if someone is telling the truth” and wondering what exactly those methods might be.  The character analysis skills learned in English class didn't seem to work in this room, especially since some in the jury pool (“Juror number 6 is trying to get off; says he’ll only be paid at work for 2 weeks so he can’t stay for 6”) didn’t care to determine anything at all. 
Among the worst moments of the trial were hearing from the Medical Examiner (“one puncture in the back of the neck – three shallow cuts across the throat – one right side stab wound which hit the liver – one gunshot wound directly into the brain”) and seeing the autopsy photos passed around (according to my journal, “one of the jurors has her head between her knees . . . Carol’s face is red, now white. I think she’s about to pass out . . . Jamie’s left the room . . . ME doesn’t recognize the photo of Jon because by the time he saw him the body was so badly decomposed.”)
After this, the misery of jurisprudence, the moment I had previously thought was the nadir of it all - the second I learned of Jon’s murder - faded nearly to nothingness when a jury of my peers found Corey Arthur - the assailant who was arrested wearing clothes smeared with Jon’s blood - guilty of only second degree murder which earned him a sentence of twenty-five years to life.  That day paled, too, later, when Corey’s accomplice, Montoun Hart, was acquitted.
Then it was over.  Except it wasn’t over.  It isn’t over.  Every May 6 is Jon’s birthday and every May 30 is the anniversary of his murder.  Every June 2 is a recreation of the day his decomposed body was found.  Evil’s residue continues to blow over everyone involved like ash from an incinerator.  There is no escaping it.










No comments:

Post a Comment